Friday, July 16, 2010

Congressmen Hard at Work

This week, I read an article posted by CNN Politics that was both very informative and utterly infuriating. Luckily for me, who has been completely out of the news circuit since the spring semester let out last May, it pointed out the main topics of discussion that Congress will be addressing in the coming weeks. But, as it points out, this does not necessarily mean that they will be voting or making any kind of decisions on these topics before they take another MONTH off of work.
This is exactly what frustrates me: why are these people, who receive almost $200,000 annually, allowed to take so much time off when there are such important things to get done? This isn’t just any old ‘Honey-Do’ list. These measures can actually change peoples’ lives, yet our congressmen take weeks and months off at a time. Now, their time off is not strictly for vacationing. For instance, most congressmen will be spending their next breaks "out with the people," a.k.a., campaigning for the November midterm elections.
It just makes me feel so good to know that while I’m working 40+ hours a week, 52 weeks a year at my demeaning, minimum-wage job, our elected officials work a grand total of 150 days per year and still make about 13 times what I do.

No comments: